You’ve now learned four new exercises that you can do anytime, anywhere with no equipment.
Today, you will learn Side Plank Variations.
Many people train their body too much in the frontal plane, neglecting the side body as well as rotation movement.
These are great whole-body exercises that will challenge you more than you realize!
Lie on your left side, making your entire body is in a straight line.
Bend your knees behind you.
Bend your left arm at a 90 degree ankle, making sure your elbow is underneath your shoulder.
Flatten the palm of your hand on the floor.
Push your side body off the ground. That’s just one repetition! Repeat at least 10 times before rolling over and repeating on the side.
Full Body Side Plank
Now lie on your left side again, this time keeping both legs straight.
Bend your left elbow underneath your shoulder once again, palm flat.
You can extend the other arm straight up to the ceiling.
Press your whole body off the ground. That’s just one repetition! Build up to practicing at least 10 reps each side. Whew!
Recovery stretch: Whole Body Twist
Lie on your back with your knees bent.
Straighten your left leg.
Tuck your right toes underneath your left leg.
Take your left hand and press your right knee across the body, extending the right arm out to the side, palm down.
Feel the twist in your entire spine! Breathe and relax, holding the stretch 1 minute each side.
What I love about plank variations:
1. These whole-body exercises burn lots of calories and are great to include in any weight loss program.
2. You develop core strength and core stability.
3. You stabilize your shoulder joint.
4. These are great exercises to perform regularly if you have a weak back.
5. You improve your balance.
6. You strengthen your upper body, lower body and core all at one time.
7. Once you have performed sets of side plank variations, you will secretly giggle and people playing around with 3, 5 or 8 pound weights. Here, you are lifting your entire body weight – however much that is! You are developing serious practical strength, no gym required!
Questions? Comments? Need help developing an exercise routine to heal your body or lose weight? You can set up an appointment in person, over the phone or via Skype by emailing Catherine@totalfitness.net or calling 678-612-8816.