What’s so healthy about this recipe?
- Limes contain flavonol glycosides, which have been proven to stop cell division in cancer. In addition, they have antibiotic and antioxidant effects. Both lemons and limes are high in Vitamin C and folate.
- This recipe is both gluten-free and dairy-free.
- Walnuts are a good source of Omega-3 fatty acids, copper, manganese, molybdenum and biotin. They are known to lower LDL, the “bad” cholesterol, and protect your heart by reducing C-reactive protein, a marker of inflammation. Walnuts are also a good source of calcium, magnesium and potassium. They are considered the ultimate brain food because they are supposed to triple the melatonin levels in your body, making it easier for you to have a good night’s sleep.
- Because of the inclusion of healthy fats – coconut oil, avocados and walnuts – this recipe is low glycemic, meaning that it won’t spike your sugar levels like regular key lime pie, which is loaded with sugar. This is a perfect recipe to include if you have trouble with your blood sugar.
- Coconut oil is the king of healing fats. It dissolves the lipid layer around most viruses, bacteria and other pathogens. It heals the digestive tract of people with severe inflammatory bowel diseases like Crohn’s and colitis. It’s antiviral, antibacterial, antimicrobial and immune boosting. It is a medium chain triglyceride that actually gets burned for energy, making it a perfect food to boost your thyroid and metabolism and help you lose weight.
Healthy Raw Food Key Lime Pie
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flour
- 2 cups pitted dates
- 5 limes
- 4 organic avocadoes
- 3/4 cup organic maple syrup
- 1 cup extra virgin coconut oil
- You will need either a Cuisinart or a high-speed blender, such as a Vitamix or a Blendtec machine.
- Wash and cut the ends off 10 limes. Throw them into the machine, including the green skin, and process until a fine, slushy pulp. Save and set aside.
- In your machine, process the walnuts, coconut flour and pitted dates until it comes together. Press half into one glass pie plate, the other into another glass pie plate as this is enough to make two pies.
- Now throw the lime pulp and juice into the machine along with the avocado pulp, maple syrup and coconut oil. Process until smooth. Pour half the filling into each pie. Refrigerate until set.
- To set up an appointment for help with your nutrition to lose weight, overcome digestive difficulties, boost your immune system, learn about healing with natural foods or simply have more energy and feel better, email me at Catherine@unlimitedenergynow.com or call 678-612-8816.