My long-term student Cindy Rees brought this delicious dish to our yoga class pot luck supper recently. She served it over crackers as a dip but you could also use this as a side vegetable dish with dinner.
Include this dish your weight loss program to give your body the nutrients it craves.
Choose this dish if you want to improve the health of your heart and eyes.
Roasted Eggplant with Red Peppers
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons Organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Celtic sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Chop the eggplant, red bell peppers and onion into one-inch cubes.
- Toss the eggplant, red bell peppers and onion in a bowl with olive oil, garlic and salt and pepper.
- Spread in a roasting pan and roast for 35 to 45 minutes until the vegetables are brown and soft.
- Place the mixture in a food processor and combine with tomato paste by pulsing just 3 to 4 times to blend. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Eggplant nourishes your brain. It contains a phytonutrient called nasunin, a potent free radical scavenger that has been shown to protect the lipids in brain cell membranes. Eggplant is also well known for lowering your cholesterol and improving flow in your blood vessels.
- Bell peppers are high in vitamin C as well as the flavonoid quercetin, beta carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin, which are very beneficial for eye health.
- Garlic is antimicrobial and antiviral as well as anti-inflammatory and beneficial for lowering your blood pressure.