What’s so healthy about this recipe?
- Limes contain flavonol glycosides, which have been proven to stop cell division in cancer. In addition, they have antibiotic and antioxidant effects. Both lemons and limes are high in Vitamin C and folate.
- This recipe is both gluten-free and dairy-free.
- Walnuts are a good source of Omega-3 fatty acids, copper, manganese, molybdenum and biotin. They are known to lower LDL, the “bad” cholesterol, and protect your heart by reducing C-reactive protein, a marker of inflammation. Walnuts are also a good source of calcium, magnesium and potassium. They are considered the ultimate brain food because they are supposed to triple the melatonin levels in your body, making it easier for you to have a good night’s sleep.
- Because of the inclusion of healthy fats – coconut oil, avocados and walnuts – this recipe is low glycemic, meaning that it won’t spike your sugar levels like regular key lime pie, which is loaded with sugar. This is a perfect recipe to include if you have trouble with your blood sugar.
- Coconut oil is the king of healing fats. It dissolves the lipid layer around most viruses, bacteria and other pathogens. It heals the digestive tract of people with severe inflammatory bowel diseases like Crohn’s and colitis. It’s antiviral, antibacterial, antimicrobial and immune boosting. It is a medium chain triglyceride that actually gets burned for energy, making it a perfect food to boost your thyroid and metabolism and help you lose weight.