This is the best kale salad I’ve ever tasted and has been generously shared by Maureen Demko, who brought it to a pot luck supper for our yoga class recently.
Kale and Brussels Sprouts Salad
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 clove garlic finely grated
- 1/4 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- black pepper
- 2 large chopped kale about 1 1/2 pounds
- 12 ounces Brussels sprouts trimmed, finely grated
- 1/2 cup Organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup Romano cheese grated
- Combine lemon juice, mustard, shallot, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon Celtic sea salt and a pinch of pepper in a small bowl.
- If you are making this salad by hand, remove the ribs of the kale leaves. Then roll up like a cigar to slice. Chop the Brussels sprouts. If you have a food processor, remove the ribs of the kale and the ends of the Brussels sprouts and chop through your machine.
- Put 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet. Add almonds and stir until golden brown for about 2 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel on a plate and sprinkle with salt.
- Whisk remaining olive oil into the lemon juice mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- You can mix the chopped kale and Brussels sprouts with the dressing up to 8 hours ahead of time. If you need to wait, store the dressing and chopped leaves separately and chill in your refrigerator.
- When you are ready, add the dressing to the chopped kale and Brussels sprouts, throw in the almonds and cheese and toss. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Kale and Brussels sprouts are two of the healthiest foods on the planet, high in vitamins K, A and C, anti-cancer glucosinolates and phytochemicals that promote detoxification and eye health.
- Extra virgin olive oil is anti-inflammatory and promotes heart health.
- Celtic sea salt is high in minerals.
- Almonds lower LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol) and reduce your risk of heart disease.
- Include this salad in your weight loss program to replenish your body with vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals and fiber.