The most important pose in my personal asana practice is chakrasana, yoga wheel pose.
Why is this deep backbend so important for you?
- Heals kyphosis, a.k.a. schlumping
- Corrects postural problems caused by excessive sitting
- Opens and balances all the chakras, increasing the flow of healing energy through your whole body
- Opens your heart and releases emotional blockages in your heart chakra, thereby making you happy
- Stimulates your nervous system
- Restores flexibility to your spine
- Strengthens all the muscles in your back body
- Tones your abdominal muscles
- Great aerobic exercise that stimulates your heart and lungs
- Heals asthma, osteoporosis and infertility
- Is a great big-bang exercise that addresses all your major muscles
- Improves your circulation
- Energizes your internal organs including your heart, liver, kidneys, adrenal glands, pancreas and digestive organs
- Lowers your stress level by balancing your adrenal glands
- Natural healing remedy for depression
- Stimulates your thyroid and pituitary glands
You may need to develop your strength as well as your flexibility to be able to access a full chakrasana pose.
That’s why I teach these 14 variations from easiest to most challenging to build you up to chakrasana wheel pose.
In between each variation, counter pose with twists such as traction twist, mermaid, chair twist, sage twist, scissor twist and other spinal rotations to open and balance your vertebrae.
I like using the props of a wall, belt, chair or chairs and blocks:
- Using the belt at your knees gives you resistance to lift your lower body.
- Placing a belt above your elbows can help your arms and shoulders stay in alignment and open to greater range of motion.
- Using a chair or two chairs helps you to develop the flexibility of your spine.
- Using a block for your hands at the wall gives you a little extra space to open your spine.
- Putting a block under your feet at the wall develops your upper body strength.
- Putting blocks at your feet and knees teaches you proper alignment.
Give yourself permission to use these training wheels as you build yourself up into full chakrasana wheel pose.
For yoga classes and personal instruction in Atlanta, please call 678-612-8816 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment. I’m now celebrating my 20th year teaching yoga and it’s always a thrill to watch my students get strong and flexible enough to move to the next stage of chakrasana.