If you’ve ever watched a loved one slip away into dementia, you know how painful the process can be not only for the person suffering from Alzheimer’s Disease or age-related cognitive decline but also for their increasingly burdened family members who have to take over daily responsibilities.
Scientific research shows there are 3 bad habits that cause dementia:
- Drinking even one diet soda per day will triple your risk of stroke and dementia.
- Not exercising.
- Taking tricyclic antidepressants, first-generation antihistamines, and bladder antimuscarinics.
Alzheimer’s disease and Dementia (AD) affect 44 million people globally and 5.3 million Americans. One in eight people over 65 suffer from AD. In the US alone, the number of patients is expected to grow to 16 million by 2050.
You don’t need to lose your mind – literally. You can start today to avoid these bad habits and here’s why:
Drinking even one diet soda per day. You can read the research in the journal Stroke yourself at this link.The very thorough study over a 10-year follow up period showed an increased risk of not only dementia but also stroke among people who drink diet sodas versus those who don’t. Another study reported March 5 of this year in Alzheimer’s and Dementia that sugary sodas and fruit juice were also related to worse episodic memory.
Not exercising. A meta analysis published in the Mayo Clinic Proceedings showed it only takes 150 minutes of exercise at 60 percent intensity per week to prevent cognitive decline. You could easily accomplish this with an easy 30 minute walk 5 times per week. Your gray matter will likely decrease as you age. However, consistent exercises causes neurogenesis in your hippocampal dentate gyrus, an area of your brain crucial for memory.
Taking tricyclic antidepressants, first-generation antihistamines, and bladder antimuscarinics. A study published in Jama Internal Medicine proves these drugs actually shrink your brain. According to a study published in the journal Neurology, each drug known to lower your acetylcholine may increase your risk of cognitive impairment by 46 percent over six years. I encourage all my clients to look up the side effects of each and every drug they take. You can download a list of the problematic medications that shrink your brain at this link. I wrote about this surprising cause of dementia on my blog here.
So what’s the take home message here:
- Stop drinking diet soda forever. Consider water. If you are battling arthritis as you age, I recommend that at least some of the water you drink be distilled water, which pulls toxins from your joints and relieves pain. Alexander Graham Bell cured his own arthritis by drinking distilled water. You either build your health or destroy it every time you put food or drink in your mouth. Learn how to feed yourself right by reading this website.
- Begin and maintain a regular exercise program. Many of my aging clients have recognized that the Number 1 step they can do to improve and maintain their mental and physical health over time is by working with me literally every week. If you would like to set up an appointment for exercise, call 678-612-8816 today or email me at email@example.com. I’ve only taught exercise for 24 years, so I have just a little bit of experience on how to train aging bodies not only without hurting you but also teaching you how to heal yourself with therapeutic movement.
- Look up the side effects of your drugs and consider non-drug alternatives. Why take the risk of using drugs when natural healing remedies are often cheaper, more effective, more long-lasting and will not shrink your brain? Each health condition you face can be addressed with food healing, movement, rest, meditation, breathing exercises and many other modalities. I’ve practiced these methods now for 24 years and can teach you how to heal yourself naturally. Why take a drug when a yoga or qi gong class might be so much more fun?