“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
|Your Anti-Schlumping Workout: Yoga For Your Upper Back|
|I’m on a campaign to stamp out schlumping, a.k.a. kyphosis, a primary cause of neck, shoulder and upper back pain.|
Technically, kyphosis is defined as an upper back curvature of over 35 degrees. You can recognize it in people who have a tight chest, rounded shoulders and humpback.
If you are working out with any fitness professional, make sure they correct your kyphosis, otherwise you will be adding to your misery, not making your body better.
How to separate the men from the boys? Ask your fitness professional if A he or she knows what kyphosis is and B if so, if she or he knows how to correct that condition.
If your trainer can’t answer either question, run, do not walk, in the opposite direction!
Here’s a workout you can do that I created to stamp out schlumping.
What you need:
A yoga mat
1. Lift your chest, pull your shoulder blades down towards your waist.
2. Stand with a yoga egg at your feet. Pull your inner groins back towards your center by squeezing a yoga egg between your thighs.
3. Reverse plank. Put a yoga egg between your feet. This is a training wheel to keep your hips in alignment! Lift up into reverse plank, lifting and spreading your chest as you straighten your arms.
4. Lat Stretch. Kneeling in front of your chair on your yoga mat, bend your elbows. Drive your elbows into the chair as you tilt your tailbone up, tractioning your spine, creating length in your vertebrae and stretching your latissimus dorsi muscles.
5. Add a yoga egg between your thighs to activate your inner groins. Remember, the legs extend your spine! Lift up again into reverse plank.Chest stretch on chair
6. Kneeling on your yoga mat, bend your arm to 90 degrees on your chair and stretch and open your chest.
7. Prepare for wheel on your chair. Grab your chair with both hands. Lift your hips to parallel. Make sure your elbows are straight up.
8. Press up to full wheel on chair by straightening your arms.
9. Sitting on the side of your chair, place an egg between your inner thighs. This keeps your sacrum, the very base of your spine, stable while you twist. Then grab the back of your chair with both hands and twist.
10. Lift up into full wheel again. Lift and spread your chest, straighten your arms and push the chair away from you. This strengthens your back and corrects kyphosis. It will reshape your posture into a correct position.
11. With your legs at 90 degrees, grab the back of your chair with one hand and push while the back of the other hand presses against your knee.
12. Down dog on a chair. With your feet hip width apart, place your hands on a chair and pull back, tilting your tailbone up to traction your spine and create space between the vertebrae.
13. Prepare for full wheel. Put two yoga eggs against a wall. Put your hands on top of the yoga eggs.
14. Push up into full wheel! Lift and spread your chest. Wheel strengthens your back, corrects your posture, opens and balances all your chakras, makes you happy and increases your aerobic capacity. Wow!
15. Baby fish. Bring your elbows out to the side, fingertips up to the ceiling. Press down with your elbows and squeeze your upper back. Do repetitions to strengthen your upper back in good posture.
16. Prepare your yoga eggs for final relaxation. Put two yoga eggs parallel to one another with enough space for your spine. Put a third yoga egg as a pillow for your head.
17. Relax over the yoga eggs. This has got to be everybody’s favorite pose!
Allow the yoga eggs to mold your body.
Benefits of this workout:
1. Eliminate your neck pain.
2. Eliminate your shoulder pain.
3. Eliminate your upper back pain.
4. Breathe more easily because you will create space for your lungs.
5. Correct kyphosis – I have measured a dramatic improvement in upper back curvature after even one workout! You can change the curve of your spine if you know what to do.
6. Look better! After all, your mother probably told you to stand up straight!
7. Have more energy. When you can breathe better, you will increase the oxygen flowing through your entire body and feel more energetic.
For more information about how you can receive a postural analysis so you can understand what is happening with your back, neck, shoulders, set up an appointment by calling 678-612-8816 or emailing Catherine@totalfitness.net.
I include posture improvement work with every work out. Come and exercise with me and discover how you can look and feel better!
Great News About My Book!
My new book, What Is Healing? Awaken Your Intuitive Power for Health and Happiness (Atlanta: Total Fitness, 2013), now has 21 five-star reviews on www.amazon.com.
Writing a book is hard enough. Publishing a book and an audiobook is a whole other enterprise altogether and I appreciate all the love and support I have had through this project!
You can read the reviews at this link:
Write A Review Of My New Book!
So far I have 21 five-star reviews of my new book, What Is Healing? Awaken Your Intuitive Power for Health and Happiness.
If you would like to write a review, please visit this link:
Then click on the button that says “Write a Customer Review.”
You can also write a review on our webstore at this link:
Please click on the underlined button that says “Write a Review.”
Purchase My New Book, Take $5 Off Nutritional Supplements
When you purchase your signed copy of What Is Healing? Awaken Your Intuitive Power for Health and Happiness or any of our top-quality supplements through our webstore, take $5 off your order of $50 or more.
Just use the code WHATISHEALINGOCT. Offer ends October 31, 2013 as you visit: http://shop.totalfitness.net.
Recipe Of The Month: Gluten-Free Mini Muffins by Jane Espy
Did you know you can access a FREE library of healing recipes by visiting the following link: http://unlimitedenergynow.com/recipe-gallery/
This month’s recipe comes by way of my mother, who started making a gluten-free version of this family recipe to help me and my little nephew Grant, since we are both gluten free.
You can visit the recipe at the following link:
What’s so great about this recipe:
1.You’ll be proud to serve these muffins at all kinds of social gatherings. They are so delicious, no one will ever know they are gluten-free!
2. By making mini muffins, you can enjoy a small amount and not stuff yourself.
3. These freeze easily. You can make them ahead of time and throw them in the freezer to enjoy at a later date.
To set up an appointment for help with your nutrition to lose weight, overcome digestive difficulties or simply have more energy and feel better, email me at Catherine@totalfitness.net or call 678-612-8816.
Mark Your Calendars!
Join me on Sunday, Nov. 10 at 10 a.m., at the Mountains Unitarian Universalist Church in Dahlonega, Georgia, where I have been asked to speak during the Sunday service.
Thank you for reading my October newsletter.
May you be inspired to experience health and happiness!
Love and light,